Sunday, February 03, 2008

Every Once in a While...

...I stop by my blog, and read a post or two. Take a look at my last post, wherein I say that Ayn Rand's philosophy doesn't quite cut it in the real world. I was reading this, trying to find adequate words that would express, in a sentence or two, exactly why her ideas wouldn't work, and it struck me: Rand's ideas are impractical not because the universe we live in is irrational (which it isn't), but because Man, no matter how much we wish it were otherwise, is not a rational creature. Evidence to that effect: Religion. Racism.

We are rational some of the time and in dealing with certain matters, but certainly not all the time and about all things. It would be irrational to believe otherwise. ;)

Perhaps we need to be rational only, or at least, about the big things. Y'know, about the things that matter. At the least, consider- rationally- all the options available, the consequences thereof, and then make a reasonable choice.

13 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger Abhay said...

hey boss,

Where are you? how are things going on?

Add me to gtalk or something at

abhay . saraf @ gmail . com

(remove the spaces)

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger «AM» said...

hmmm.. welcome back!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger tangled said...

Sounds a bit... inhuman, no?
:D

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger the Monk said...

Oh, totally...I was going to say something to the effect of and then do whatever the hell you want, but didn't...I don't know why...

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger A said...

hey,long time.. why dont you blog more often? Its a treat to read your posts.. Dont deny us that pleasure..lol..Hope you're doing well..Tc..

 
At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hullo ... Religion isn't reasonable .. ?? what is , then ?
careful careful .....

Yahoo!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger -Poison- said...

hey man.nice to see you back.. i think that my problem's that i donno what matters. this again would mean that there are others like me who don't know what matters. leading to the irrational circus that's life. er..that's my take.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger the Monk said...

@Yahoo: Religion is completely reasonable, of course. I was merely saying that religion is evidence for my claim that man is not rational most of the time.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Arun Kumar said...

Religion is actually quite rational if you think about it - Its the best way to control a large group of people. No one opposes the guy who's "god"'s bum pal.

Nice blog btw :)

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work! Your post/article is an excellent example,I keep on reading this attractive blog.
thesis writing services

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Janely said...

I enjoyed your blog. It’s easy to read, the content is good, and you’re an educated writer unlike most of the blogs I come across when searching on this topic. I will check back in the future and see if you have more articles. Thanks for posting this, I appreciate the information and the effort you put into your site.Houston Home Security

 
At 2:20 AM, Anonymous MMA Welding Inverters said...

You have provided ample information here on your post that can easily be understand by your readers. I am admiring you for that. Thanks for this insightful post and I am hoping more to come.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I impressed with your post, and with the entire blog as well! You are a well-educated blogger with an awesome sense of humor! Readers understand you with ease! By the way, you can always use our college essay editing service with confidence!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home